Tofu is not something that people I know get excited about. A lot of people around here would probably know you were “From Away” instantly if you told them you like tofu. Well, I’m From Away, and here it is: I like tofu.
Anyway, the other night I decided I wanted to do something with tofu because Sean was hankering for chicken salad and we were driving back from climbing and my mind started wandering. I imagine most people think about things other than food when their minds wander, but when you have been climbing for a few hours and it’s approaching dinner time, it’s hard to think about much else. Somehow I arrived at tofu, and this is what I came up with:
Weeknight Tofu So Easy My Cat Could Make It
1 package extra firm tofu
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1. Remove the tofu from its package and place it on a towel. Fold the towel over it and put something heavy on it to squeeze out some moisture.
2. Fill the bottom of a medium mixing bowl with soy sauce and minced garlic.
3. Slice the tofu into “fillets,” about 1/2 inch thick. This should yield about 8 slices.
4. Dip each slice in the soy sauce and then place them together (as they were before you sliced them) in the bottom of the bowl. Soak for about an hour.
5. To cook, heat olive oil (or oil of choice — sesame would be tasty) in a frying pan and fry a few slices at a time, 2-3 minutes per side or until brown and crispy.
6. Serve with many vegetables.
In other news, below is a “before” snapshot of my next project. One of the dorms on campus is being renovated after about 30 years of the university insisting that they were going to get rid of all that asbestos and lead paint ASAP, and they had a huge furniture sale the other day to clean out the rooms. Everything was either $5 or $10, and I managed to snag this little desk and a bookcase for $10 total. My new place has extremely limited counter space (but a sweet sun porch), so I am going to use this desk as a coffee station and microwave stand. I have selected a pretty yellow color for it to match my blue coffee table. This time I’m going to prime. I swear.
Stay tuned for more furniture updates!