Puff Pastry Spinach Pie
Inspired by this recipe. Serves 4.
2 frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed (I used 1, because that’s all I had, and it was quite hard to seal)
10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1 large or 2 medium yellow onions
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (I used low-fat)
1/2 cup chipotle panko (or breadcrumbs…this is just what I had on hand, and I liked the added smokiness)
Smoked ham, diced (I eyeballed this until it looked like a good ratio of spinach:ham. I would say spinach >> ham, but you can adjust according to your preferences)
This was one of those recipes that I wish I had paid more attention to when I was making it, because it was inspired by the need to use up ingredients I already had, but it turned out to be the most delicious thing I have made in months.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
1. Sauté the onions in olive oil until they are soft. While I did this, I thawed the spinach in the microwave.
2. Add the minced garlic and remove from heat.
3. In a large bowl, combine all of the other ingredients except puff pastry until they are a warm, gooey, fragrant mass.
4. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and lay down the first puff pastry sheet.
5. Dump your gooey, fragrant mass of spinach on the first puff pastry sheet and top with the second puff pastry sheet.
6. Crimp the sheet around the edges so that the ooey goodness will not escape.
7. Bake until the puff pastry is puffed and golden. This took 25 minutes for mine, but it will vary. I recommend starting to check it at 15 minutes.